Monday 28 November 2011

Treating your waiter/waitress right

Today I thought I should share with you something that's some how very close to heart. When I was in university I used to work part time as a waitress. I actually really enjoyed my job. It allowed me to meet so many different people from all walks of life, I made new friends and I was able to explore London. I worked in many different events in different areas like: Buckingham palace and i got to see Prince Charles and Camilla, Glamour awards and i got to see Katy Perry, Jason Button, Dizzie Rascal, Kylie Mnogue and more, I worked at this huge charity party in Greenwich were I saw Simon Cowell, Uma Thurman, Tony Blair, Liz Hurley, etc. okay by now am sure you get my point.lol.sorry i had to boast.




Anyway back to my point, being a waitress in not easy but can be fun. You are on your feet for long hours, by the time you get home you just want to soak in a bath and sleep. There are a few rules that we were always told at work about how to treat the customer and to make sure they are happy. But the two rules that stuck with me are 1) The Customer is ALWAYS right 2) always SMILE


I remember this one time I was serving canapés, and there I was with my tray moving up and down but the people didn't want to eat. The manager still made us go back because the food was paid for and at the end of the night if there was any left it would be thrown away. This lady, I guess she got tired of me asking, and she just told me in this aggressive way, "Go Away", I was already going through so much that week as well, and I guess she just topped it off, I just went to the bathroom crying, I don't even know why I let her get to me. Then one of the guests saw me and came to comfort me,she told me you need to remember why you are doing this, its not forever. And I thought to myself yeah, this is just temporary, she had no right to make me feel that way and I shouldn't have let her. That's just an example of some abuse waiters/waitresses could receive.I have had grown old men hitting on me which I found very disrespectful but I knew why I was there, I kept my head held high and kept doing my job.




Sometimes I would put so much effort at work, I would say I had the best customer service yet when some one leaves, they either don't tip you or put a quid or so. I mean seriously, what am I going to do with a pound? yeah I know I could get something but come on. Anyway so my waitressing days are over and it was a good lesson for me. Now each time I go eat at a restraurant I always say please, thank you,when I tip I at least try to put 5 pounds and I am never short of a smile, because i know how it feels.



 

What did you think my luvvies? Did you once get treated badly at a job you used to have or still do? Do you tip your waiters? Please do feel free to share.Till next time.....


Xoxo Yummy Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment